You are hereContent / BOS Meeting - Selectmen's meeting room

BOS Meeting - Selectmen's meeting room


Apr 18 2017 - 5:30pm
Apr 18 2017 - 7:00pm
Etc/GMT-4

DRAFT
Aquinnah Board of Selectmen
Minutes of Meeting 4/18/2017
Aquinnah Town Hall

Members present: Chairman Julianne Vanderhoop, Gary Haley
Also present: Town Administrator Adam Wilson, Island Transport Owner Scott Dario, Police Chief Randhi Belain, Fire Chief Simon Bollin, DPW Director Jay Smalley, Jay McCleod, Gazette Reporter Alex Elvin, Martha Vanderhoop, Carla Chuch, Adriana Ignacio, Berta Welch, Derrill Bazzy, Theresa Manning, Allen Rugg

The meeting began at 5:30 pm.

1st on the agenda under Old Business was a review of the minutes from the 4/4 meeting.
Gary made a motion to accept the minutes from April 4th, Juli seconded.
The Board voted 2 – 0 in favor. The motion passed.

-Next on the agenda was a meeting with Scott Dario and Island Transport. Scott talked about the history of the bus tour operation and to take suggestions from those present as to how to make it better delivering tourists to the Aquinnah Circle. Juli talked about the need to know when the busses are coming in the morning and the last busses in the afternoon. Scott said he’d be happy in offering more time for visitation but needs to stage the busses so that the visit can be for 45 minutes to an hour. Randhi proposed that the busses could stage down at the bottom of the hill.
-Juli talked about the Conway School design should consider a possible staging area. Scott said he’d rather “sell” the tour to go to Gay Head than anywhere else. Carla talked about the Aquinnah Cultural Center being part of the tour as well. Adriana asked about other vehicles operating/parking in the same area. Fire lane considerations were talked about. Scott talked about the ticket sales from the boats going to the Gay Head Cliffs. Scott talked about the web site he has and is open to suggestions to improve it. The two trollies to Edgartown are part of his fleet as well.
The cost of the 3 hour tour is $33 per person and busses can carry 44 people were. Scott said the fall season weather has made the cruise lines program difficult to sustain. Martha said that she thinks the extended time at the cliffs will benefit the operations.

-Next on the agenda was a meeting with Derrill and the Conway School contract. He said the scope of work remains the same. The grad students have visited the circle. There was discussion about the idea that’s been presented from Scott Dario. Derrill read from the proposal and remarks from the visioning study finished from last year. The new students will pick up from where the other study left off. He showed the flow charts created and different ideas, including perhaps making the whole circle pedestrian only. The strategic plan is for a long term solution but not to rush into things and keep everything in a schematic phase subject to keeping an open mind as to what the future of the circle will be. Derrill emphasized that there can be fixes from what has been learned from previous years. Short term vs long term strategy was talked about. Adriana asked what short term fixes are there. Derrill said certain pedestrian rights of way can be changed. The picnic tables at the cliffs were talked about. Derrill talked about places where people can sit, get out of the wind and the sun. He wants more places to sit. There was discussion about what can go to the Selectmen now for upgrades and what will happen to the lease space that Bettina now holds.
Jay talked about the beautification of the cliff shop area and what type of a budget can be put together for this summer season. Carla asked about the benches and having more places to sit. The donation of benches was talked about. Berta asked about the other area for tinker weed propagation that has been brush cut. Can the shop keepers purchase a picnic table for $1K each and benches at $600. There was discussion about seating up at the lookout area. The ownership of the old blue tables was discussed as needing to be disposed. The lot leased by the Tribe to the TPPO Office and the no build clause in the leases was talked about.
Gary made a motion to accept the Conway contract for $7,000 covered by CPA money. Juli seconded.
The Board voted 2 – 0 in favor. The motion passed.
Juli signed the contract and gave it to Derrill for mailing.
In Other Business, Juli read a thank you letter from the BOS to the Personnel Committee for the work they did in handling the Collins Ceenter classification & compensation study. She signed the letter.

-In Other Business, Allen talked about the changes to the budget and how the FinCom has worked very hard with the town’s CFO to bring down the deficit in order to reduce the amount needed for an override. Angela stated she had a problem with Article 31 from the personnel committee dealing with longevity. She said those who worked over 20 years for the town would lose 1% of their longevity pay. The Selectmen said they would take the concern under advisement and talk to the Personnel Committee to see if a remedy can’t be found.

-The Board agreed to meet Wednesday April 26th with town residents @ 5:30 pm for a Q & A on the warrant similar to last year’s meeting.

-Juli asked if there was anything else to come before the board. Hearing none, a motion was made and seconded to adjourn.

The Board voted 2 – 0 in favor. The motion passed.

-The meeting ended at 6:44 pm.